[ExI] phone eats city

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:48:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, it is going to be interesting what people will create with all this
> connectedness.

Yeah, and some of it probably benefit us. :-)

I still want to know this:  what's new on the horizon for gadgets?

I think augmented reality will catch on pretty soon, and the technology is
mostly in place. Google Glass was a decent early attempt, but it was before
its time and Google wasn't sufficiently committed to it. But Pokemon
Go-style AR where everyone walks around looking at the world through their
phone isn't going to cut it. Another easy pick is self-driving cars.

>   Will smartphones live forever?

The functionality they provide is probably "forever" but the hand-held
platform as the primary platform likely won't. Glasses/contacts and
earbud(s)/mics might be next.

>   Is the next step implants?

I think that's doubtful. Tech changes too fast and implants are too
intrusive. I like my Android phone but I wouldn't be interested in an
Android implant that runs who-knows-code, spies on me, can't be
disabled/removed, etc.

>   What will nanotech bring us?

It's too soon to say, but it's a safe bet that R&D will continue and some
impressive products will result. Whether or not they're ever utility fog
impressive, only time will tell.

-Dave