[ExI] AI poker

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 21:58:45 UTC 2017

A trained ear can transcribe either a sax solo or a French horn solo.  Put
them together, the human can somehow tell which instrument is which from
its unique timbre and work out who played what (not on the first try, or
even the second.)  A machine is nowhere close to being able to do that I am
told.  Or if so, it is a recent and very impressive development.

spike

I still don't see the problem.  For one, a sax has, it has been described,
a very muddy set of overtones (clearest is the oboe), and a French horn
(which is really English, whereas an English horn is really French - go
figure) has a much clearer set, so it should be easy for the AI to tell
which is playing which note.  Put two saxes together and it's impossible -
or is it?  Each horn has a slightly different set of overtones - no two
instruments are the same, eh?  I'll bet an AI could distinguish two
instruments that a person could not.

Mozart did something like this, only with a full orchestra and chorus.  The
Pope (or some really big dude) had a piece of music that was only played
for him, and Mozart attended a concert of it, and later wrote down every
note by every player or singer.  Now that's impossible even for most genius
musicians.

Most composers would not write for the sax because of the muddy overtones.
Not a quality instrument, they said.  Probably the reason people like it
(though, sadly, I don't except for Paul Desmond - Boots Randolph is a
nightmare to me).  I wonder why the oboe is not a pop instrument?

bill w