[ExI] A AI with a higher IQ than 75% of Americans

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:19:06 UTC 2017

Our fascination with IQ testing  rafal

No psychologist would like the current situation re IQ tests to continue.
We all know how inadequate they are.  Correlations with real world
variables rarely run over 25% of the variance.  What is amazing is that
they have lasted so long.  The reason why:  intelligence has never been
defined in such a way that everybody jumps on the bandwagon and says Yes,
that's it; that's what real intelligence is.  And the reason for that is
that like the 12 blind men and the elephant, everybody is looking at a
different set of variables with every intellectual task they explore.

Individually given IQ tests are the best we have because they do correlate
with more other variables than any other sort of test.  Not easily replaced.

But as we are talking about the most complex functions of the most complex
thing, all of that is to be expected.  I would love to live to see
correlations in the .70s and .80s.

But I won't.  And likely you won't either.

bill w