[ExI] Question for the psych squad

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Jul 1 07:57:36 UTC 2017

For context, some of you might know that I have been researching consciousness with respect to Turing machines. One of things I am trying to figure out is whether the brain can be mathematically modelled as a Turing machine.

One characteristic of Turing machines is that they are subject to the Halting Problem. Briefly, the HP is the mathematical theorem that there is, in principle, no way to predict whether any given TM will, for any given input, eventually stop or get stuck in an infinite loop.

So the question I have is how are people with severe OCD different than computer programs stuck in infinite loops? Are there known cases of people who if left untreated would continue performing their compulsion until exhaustion? Or people who literally cannot stop thinking about their obsession while awake?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Stuart LaForge

Sent from my phone.