[ExI] Jordin Kare

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 18:28:53 UTC 2017

Some of you know or know of Jordin Kare.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017, at 10:08 PM,  Henry Vanderbilt
<hvanderbilt at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I have just gotten word from a friend who was working for him that
> Jordin Kare has died.  Heart failure.

Sigh.  Last time I saw Jordin was at WesterCon a year ago in Portland.

Last time he posted on this group was Jan 17.

My last email from him was March 20.

Rand is right that Jordin was one of the giants.  Lots of people
recognized that beamed energy is the way to get more exhaust
velocity/lower mass ratio than chemicals can provide.  Jordin worked
out the details.  He was an inspiration in work on moving vast mass to
high orbits for power satellites.

I spent too little time with him, but he was a busy guy.

Younger than me by 14 years, but no doubt he got more done.

Keith

PS.  It's always unnerving when people much younger than you die.  I
think many of you knew Hugh Daniel.  He was 20 years younger than I
was at the time when he died of congestive heart failure.