[ExI] trump's hormones

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 15:44:54 UTC 2017

Why couldn't I use public key encryption? I digitally sign
my completed ballot with my secret key, the one I generated when I first
registered to vote, as proof that the ballot could only have come from me.
Then I encrypt the message with the election office's public key ( and if I
were a belt and suspenders sort of mood I could encrypt it a second time
with my secret key) and then Email the entire thing to the election office,
who after decoding it with their secret key (and perhaps with my public key
if I encrypted it a second time) could then could publicly say "John Clark
voted on this date and the following is is a record of how he voted that we
encrypted with John Clark's public key so that can only be decrypted by his
secret key that is available only to him so he can make sure everything is
OK ."  I could then double check that there was no funny business going on.

Even if Vladimir Putin hacked the election office and found their secret
key I don't see how that would help him swing the election. Yes if a KGB
agent broke into my house and got physical access to my computer and found
my secret key then he could impersonate me and vote in my place, but he'd
have to go through all that trouble and he'd only get one vote, and I'd
know something was wrong when my encrypted ballot was posted.

And yes none of this will work if Quantum Computers become practical, but
when that happens we'll have much bigger issues to deal with than mere
voter fraud.

 John K Clark