[ExI] Hawking urges Moon landing to 'elevate humanity'

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 07:18:26 UTC 2017

Hawking urges Moon landing to 'elevate humanity'
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40345048

I shared this to social media with the line:
NASA, ESA, Russia, China, Google, scientists, entrepreneurs,
politicians, YOU: LISTEN to Stephen Hawking! LISTEN!

Prof Stephen Hawking has called for leading nations to send astronauts
to the Moon by 2020.

They should also aim to build a lunar base in 30 years' time and send
people to Mars by 2025.

"A new and ambitious space programme would excite (young people), and
stimulate interest in other areas, such as astrophysics and
cosmology".

"We are running out of space and the only places to go to are other
worlds. It is time to explore other solar systems. Spreading out may
be the only thing that saves us from ourselves. I am convinced that
humans need to leave Earth,"

"To leave Earth demands a concerted global approach, everyone should
join in. We need to rekindle the excitement of the early days of space
travel in the sixties."

"I hope for the best. I have to. We have no other option".