[ExI] test

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jun 21 14:22:41 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Giulio Prisco
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:02 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] test

>...The list is certainly alive, but it's going through one of those idle moments. I have been looking at the list archives of 20 years ago, in particular one very interesting thread I found doing some research (thoughts forthcoming), and yes, the list today is a ghost of what it used to be. I wonder whether that means mailing lists have irreversibly joined the graveyard of social media, or we could come up with creative ideas to reload the list...

Chat groups have specialized in the past 20 yrs.  The notion of posting actual sentences rather than tweeting about, what, 37 characters? is alive and well.  There are plenty of topics you can't really cover in 37 characters.  I leave that to the politicians: I have notions that just cannot fit in that space.

Twenty yrs ago we used to spin off temporary subgroups, but ExI was a big wild fun party where you could post pretty much anything.  Now these specialty groups are permanent and have good focus.  I am in several of them myself, specifically about stuff I want to know about.

I am surprised no one is posting about that new Intel chip or the new exos.  Perhaps fresh in my mind is the announcement of Kepler's first findings, oh boy that was a toe curler.