[ExI] brave new world in education

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 13:54:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> What if… we decided to teach humanities to the technogeeks, but instead of
> the usual curriculum taught by the usual suspects, we put the science,
> technology, engineering and math departments together and have them decide
> on a curriculum, completely open blank slate, have them choose from among
> their own STEM-oriented profs to teach it, decide on what to teach, what
> materials to use, everything, hand it over to that end of campus.
>

> What would the course look like?
>

> We can pretend we are those professors, so we get a say in what goes into
> that STEM-derived humanities course.  What would you suggest putting in
> there?
>

> I would have Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty Four.  But you already knew I would
> have that one, ja?

prereq to *Nineteen Eighty Four*, I'd start with *Guns, Germs, and Steel*
then frame technological and cultural identity as similar weapons as a
segue to

*The Selfish Gene.*
On a more practical path... or on the path of more practicality:

*The Design of Everyday Things*
It would probably also be a good idea to examine "current events" and "pop
culture" through the lens of shaping/guiding from now 'til tomorrow.
(hmm... that would be a good book title, eh?  *From Now 'til Tomorrow*  )