[ExI] brave new world in education

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 29 15:59:38 UTC 2017

>… On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Subject: Re: [ExI] brave new world in education

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

What if… we decided to teach humanities to the technogeeks, but instead of the usual curriculum taught by the usual suspects, we put the science, technology, engineering and math departments together and have them decide on a curriculum, completely open blank slate, have them choose from among their own STEM-oriented profs to teach it, decide on what to teach, what materials to use, everything, hand it over to that end of campus.

>…Well, any attempt to broaden education would probably be worthwhile, but for the full effect I think it needs to be an immersive experience guided by experienced teachers. It's not just about reading literature, it's about writing papers, learning logic, learning to discuss/debate ideas, etc…

OK so how can we make a humanities course that would appeal to techno-geeks.  It shouldn’t be just something to endure, ja?

What would the course look like?

We can pretend we are those professors, so we get a say in what goes into that STEM-derived humanities course.  What would you suggest putting in there?

I would have Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty Four.  But you already knew I would have that one, ja?

Others?

>…Brave New World, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, To Kill a Mockingbird, ... I could go on.

>…-Dave

Ja, and we need to get art in there somewhere.  Engineers and scientists would likely find interesting the work of that Italian guy Mr. Angelo.  What was his name, Michael?  Carved a big nekkid guy out of marble.

While they are at it, I would sincerely like to have some really hipster artsy professor explain to me how the hell the artsy crowd figures stuff like this is worth millions of dollars:

https://www.wikiart.org/en/jackson-pollock

Deep down in our hearts, we know what this silliness is really all about: the frames have secret compartments stuffed with cocaine, that’s what.  Rich people trade dope while pretending to be high toned, seeing stuff in these paintings.  After the get a snootful of the contents of those frames, they probably do see meaning in the paintings.  So now you know.  Your old Uncle Spike has enlightened you on art.  You’re welcome.