[ExI] Living space culture: Black sky thinker Rachel Armstrong

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 07:32:24 UTC 2017

"The obstacles aren't financial (we spend much more on war and useless
gadgets)..."

Yes they are financial, actually.  Get the money devoted to it, and
lunar colonization will happen.

A lot more people believe war, right now, is necessary for survival
than believe lunar colonization, right now, is necessary for survival.
This isn't really something that can be changed, unless one had enough
money that one could just do the colonization project anyway.

The "we" who spend on "useless gadgets" get short term, immediate
gratification that the process of lunar colonization can not
replicate, at least until after the money's mostly spent.

So you have to come up with rewards and incentives - real ones, that
enough actual people will actually buy into.  The long-term good of
having a lunar settlement is demonstrably woefully insufficient (from
many, many attempts to raise the funding with that as the sole
reward), so you have to come up with something far more.