[ExI] Why is this still a thing?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:20:09 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 3:02 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> This Sunday we're supposed to set out clocks ahead by one hour, and in 6
> months we'll be instructed to set them back one hour. It seems to me that
> unless we're taking about spaceships moving close to the speed of light or
> intense gravitational fields all clocks should move at a constant speed.

Partisan gridlock: US lawmakers constantly have so much more to deal
with, and changing (for good or for bad) would have short-term costs
they haven't been able to bring themselves to impose for this.  Also,
some people say that starting peoples' school/commute/etc. times
shortly after dawn leads to improved safety/productiveness/etc.

> Another beef, why are pennies still a thing? If cost the US mint 1.5 cents
> to make a penny, millions of man hours each year are wasted because people
> must use them to make change, and if you place a penny on a busy sidewalk
> and look a day later it will probably still be there because nobody will
> think it's worth picking up.

Most pennies I see on the sidewalk are not there a day later.

That aside, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_debate_in_the_United_States
is a good overview.