[ExI] Why is this still a thing?

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 8 02:37:39 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:52 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Why is this still a thing?

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com <mailto:atymes at gmail.com> > wrote:

​> ​>…Most pennies I see on the sidewalk are not there a day later.

​>…I infer from that that you don't pick them up; and I further infer that you don't because you have better uses for your time.

 John K Clark

Pennies form a deep copper reservoir that keeps the particularly useful metal’s prices from fluctuating too wildly.  If it gets significantly higher than the value of a penny, people will illegally recycle them while the copper mines crank up.

Back in the old days, the copper was needed in wartime.  In 1943, US pennies were made of steel, while the copper mining and processing infrastructure was being used high-speed delivery of copper to the Nazis.

spike

​