[ExI] Fish in space

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 14:30:20 UTC 2017

On 18 March 2017 at 13:31, Dan TheBookMan  wrote:
> http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/fish-dont-do-so-well-space-180961817/
>
> I'm more curious about what would happen to vertebrates and other macrobes
> under lunar or Martian gravity, simulated or actual.

I thought NASA already knew that?
As the article says, under lower gravity everything in the human body
gets weaker. Muscles (including the heart) weaken, the body contains
less blood, the immune system weakens and bones lose density. After
two years on Mars, astronauts would probably be physically unable (or
find it nearly impossible) to return to Earth. i.e. they would need a
lot of hospital care on returning. A Mars trip might have to be
permanent.
There is also cosmic ray damage to worry about as Mars and the Moon
has no protection.

BillK