[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 22:05:28 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​> ​
> If glutamate was redness
> ​ [....]​
>
> Nobody is saying that glutamate, or any chemical for that matter, is
redness because glutamate is a noun and the red quale is a adjective.
However it could be that for some brains, if their atoms are organized in
certain specific ways,
glutamate might be able to produce the redness quale; but I'll never be
able to prove or disprove that hypothesis for any brain other than my own.

> ​> ​
> if you changed glutamate, with glycene in any one of those synapses, the
> entire system would be screaming: “Wait, back up, that glycine isn’t
> anything like it’s neighboring redness glutamate,
>
> ​G​
lutamate
​ and ​

​glycine​

​have different objective chemical properties, so I just don't see how this
line of reasoning will help in the understanding of subjectivity.​ If you
exchange g
​
lutamate
​ with
glyc
​i​
ne
in some neurons but not in others then obviously those neurons will be
treated differently by their neighboring ​neurons.

John K Clark