[ExI] Orbital skyscraper proposal

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 20:45:07 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com> wrote:
> That schematic diagram, where they show everything, obviously isn't anywhere
> close to scale.  They have the international space station close to Geo, or
> the "Clarke Belt".  The distance between those is HUGE.

I'm willing to grant them that artistic license as something
approximating logarithmic scale, since they do at least call out the
altitudes, and above the funerary section there's a whole lot of
nothing but cable.

> And I haven't seen anywhere where they describe how the G force changes.
> Obviously, it would be Zero in GEO.  But what would it be on the top
> "FUNERARY" floors?  Given the scale it is drawn it appears it would be about
> half a G on the top "FUNERARY" floor.  But it probably is much more like .9
> or more G, given the correct scale?  Or does the fact that it is orbiting,
> even if only geostationary, change things at that altitude?

It's been a while since I did the math, but I think G is proportional
to height in this setup.  So, 32 km (top of Funerary) out of just
under 36,000 km?  Basically 1G.  (Their listed altitude is slightly
off - GEO is actually 35,786 km instead of 35,750 km - but either way,
over 0.999 G.)