[ExI] Single Payer Healthcare

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 15:24:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​> ​
> but I do not think it is a fact that single payer healthcare systems "work
> great."

​30 countries spend about half what the USA does on healthcare and they
live longer, a logical person with no ax to grind would have to admit
that's pretty great compared with the USA. ​

> ​> ​
> Do you think that the UK's single payer system is working great?

​Yes.​

​> ​
> If so, what dispassionate metrics are you basing this on?

​The average UK citizen lives to be 81.2 years old and spends  $4003 a year
on healthcare, the average USA citizen lives to be 79.3 years old and spends
$9451 on healthcare.

I think you are heavily discounting the rationing effect that is part and
> parcel of any single payer plan.

​Rationing be damned. The bottom line is they spend less than half as much
and live longer. ​If a theory doesn't fit the facts it must be abandoned.
No exceptions.

John K Clark