[ExI] Blasphemy

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed May 10 22:05:44 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:51 PM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Blasphemy

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:11 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> >
Subject: [ExI] Blasphemy

>>…Actor ​Stephen Fry was investigated for blasphemy by Irish police because when asked

what he would say if he was confronted by God Fry replied:..

>…Stephen Fry could never be confronted by God, because he is God.  If you ever get a chance to view him and Hugh Laurie in the excellent Jeeves and Wooster, one scarcely stops laughing the whole time… spike

There was only one person who filed a complaint against Fry’s comments.  The Irish authorities investigated.  The blasphemy law requires the authorities investigate blasphemy, but it is not at all clear what happens if they find it.  So they investigated.  Done.

I found a complete Jeeves and Wooster episode from 27 yrs ago.  This episode is a pretty good representative of the entire series.  It would be fun to hear a Brit’s take on this, such as BillK or Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7pk58Bq4Q