[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 13:13:44 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:43 AM, SR Ballard <sen.otaku at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, I've read some things which suggest that humans, psychologically,
> fare better when surrounded by green space (of any size). And I'm sure
> many of us have felt the pressure of particularly eye-sore urban
> construction, in a mixed sandy-grey. Quite depressing.

I think the costs associated with greening the urban environment will be
far more than retrofitting human psychology.

Augmented reality has the potential to make the dullest city appear as an
oasis or whatever else the consumer wants to see

Wearables have the added benefit that the consumer will pay you to get
them, while the public-good works require creative accounting of tax money.

Frankly, the AR solution facilitates the pay-per-view model to create
several levels of "nice" for your city.  I could see residents getting a
subscription discount for volume purchasing while the visitors are taken
advantage of -- much like the parking situation in many densely-populated
cities.