[ExI] can cities pull rank on states? was: RE: Greener Urban Environment

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat May 20 02:54:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> States are
> pulling rank on the Fed now, and making grass legal, such as Colorado.  Not
> wishing for a showdown in the Supreme Court, where the Fed will likely lose,
> the Fed is standing down.

It's not quite "pulling rank".  The feds have one law; certain states,
another.  In theory the feds' law would win out if it went to
court...if the feds' law could stand up to state-grade legal
inspection.  As you note, the feds are standing down.

It is the same between the states and the cities: if the states' law
is sound, then can smack down any city that objects.  I seem to recall
this happening a few times throughout the history of the USA.  But if
the states' law is on such shaky footing that a mere city challenging
it would likely make it fall apart, the states are well-advised not to
press it upon any city that objects.