[ExI] tabby's star dimming again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat May 20 04:29:33 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of spike
.

Whoa!  Check this!

http://www.popsci.com/alien-megastructure-star-dimming-again

That weird 'alien megastructure' star is dimming again right now

ASTRONOMERS ARE SCRAMBLING TO TAKE MEASUREMENTS.

By  <http://www.popsci.com/popsci-authors/sarah-fecht> Sarah Fecht 5 hours
ago

 .

Here's the curve!  There is no known natural phenomenon that can do this
without leaving one helllll of an IR signature.

So why is old spike obsessing about all this?  First of all, I prefer
"middle-aged spike" please.

Why is middle-aged spike obsessing about all this?  I'll tell ya why
no-particular-age spike is obsessing about all this.  Late-youth spike is
obsessing about all this because an S-brain is a possible explanation for
how we could be seeing a sudden dimming without a corresponding IR
signature!

You know that argument I suggested about 6 yrs ago in this forum that any
M-brain would need to reflect its energy in a uniform direction in order to
prevent overheating?  I think. I think. that same argument would hold for
S-brains!  And if it does.  that would explain how the heck we could see a
2% drop in signal from Tabby's star in TWOOOO DAAAAAYYYYYS!  Without a cloud
of hot dust and debris!

Think about it my physics-enabled friends!  Do you recall aaaaaany lecture
in which you could have a star dimming that fast?  Ja, a debris cloud.  Do
you recall any lecture on debris clouds and how to recognize one?  Ja, they
warm up and have an IR signature.  Do you recall aaaaaany lecture which
would explain how a star can dim without a debris cloud or with a debris
cloud with no IR signature?  No, ya don't!  I sure don't.

An S-brain would do that, if. if it is correct that an S-brain needs to
direct its energy in a uniform direction for the same reason an M-brain
does, it must dump most of that good low-entropy energy. for some
fundamental reason, such as. it would overheat otherwise.

And young Spike was the guy who advanced the notion, right here in good old
ExI-chat, that an M-brain and possibly an S-brain would need to radiate
low-entropy energy in order to avoid overheating, and would as a result, dim
a star with no visible IR signature, because it was directing the IR (or
higher (probably a lot higher than IR)) elsewhere, so we can't see it.

Oooooh these are exciting times to be living, so exciting!

Life. is.  gooooooooood.