[ExI] letter

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 21 11:15:24 UTC 2017

On 21 May 2017 at 11:44, SR Ballard  wrote:
> My view of Trump comes from the lower middle class. My parents have to
> decide every year if they want to spend their tax returns on their
> teeth, or on their cars. My parents couldn't afford a house so we
> moved into an "RV" and I don't mean one of those fancy-pants
> old-retiree ones either. I mean that it was meant to be lived in 8
> weeks a year, for two years, and replaced. We lived in it for 5 years.
> By the end we had no toilet, no hot water, no air conditioning, and
> one working electrical outlet. Bugs crawled in through the hatch next
> to my bed, and walked all over me.
>
> Growing up, my parents were on food stamps for a while. I always
> qualified for free lunch. I went on no school field-trips that cost
> more than $10 my entire education. I could not use the scholarship I
> got to a prestigious private school in my area because my mom couldn't
> afford to drive the ten miles each way. One month in my childhood, all
> my mom could afford to buy was a starting-to-rot 50lb bag of potatoes,
> and so that's what we ate for a month, with odds and ends. Before I
> turned 18, we could only afford to take me to the dentist once. I
> received all my immunizations through government subsidized programs.
>
> My parents pulled all of our furniture out of other people's trash. My
> parents were too poor to buy me clothes and shoes, so my grandmother
> thrifted them. My parents nor myself ever owned a new bed, but used
> the ones passed down to us by other family members. Cell phones and
> similar things were received in the same way. As a kid, we had a
> computer because my mom was good with them, and would salvage
> computers that other people put away. My parents never bought a
> moniter, television, any tables or chairs. My mother never bought
> dishes while I was living at home, other than tea kettles. We used the
> plates she got as a wedding present until I used my birthday money one
> year to buy her some new cups and glasses when I was in 8th grade.

You had an RV! You were lucky! We had to live in a hole in the road
and eat road-kill.

You had furniture!  Riches! We had rocks to sit on and slept in a cardboard box.

We could only dream of a toilet. Way out of our reach........  :)

Do you know Monty Python?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo>
Four Yorkshiremen sketch - 3 minutes

BillK