[ExI] clarification

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 27 19:28:11 UTC 2017

On 27 May 2017 at 19:41, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> Thanks.  I have to ask:  what about a company's proprietary information?
> Just don't take it with you?  Also, if someone wanted to take illegal info
> across a border, all they'd have to do is to research just who they stop,
> and don't act or dress like them.  Al Qaeda would be stupid to send an Arab
> looking person across with sensitive info on phones or laptops.  There's
> always some way around any system and I assume that this policy slows
> traffic quite a bit in some cases.  bill w

The important factor is that even if Border Control let you pass
through, they are allowed to keep your devices for further
investigation and it may be a long time before you get them back. So
to be safe, you need to get a disposable phone and laptop, so that
your main devices remain safe at home. Some companies IT departments
may provide business travelers with these. Then make sure the
disposable devices contain the minimum data you need for your trip. No
social media apps, banking, emails, etc. unless you want strangers
trawling through your accounts. When you return IT will wipe the
devices to get rid of all the spyware, malware and viruses that have
been installed during your trip abroad.

Individual travelers are more at risk as they don't have a company IT
department looking after their security.

BillK