[ExI] Cryonics Alexandre Erler and bad philosophy

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Nov 27 21:50:07 UTC 2017

See:
Chemical Brain Preservation and Human Suspended Animation

http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/chemopreservation2.html

Note that neither Fahy nor McIntyre recommends ASC in place of
vitrification at this time.

Being able to chemically preserve brain slices is not comparable to
preserving entire human brains.

The fact that ASC allows you to show clearly ultrastructural preservation
better doesn't mean that ASC is doing a better job at ultrastructure
preservation. Current research is working on reducing or eliminating
dehydration so that we can provide equally clear evidence of excellent
preservation with the existing process.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:56 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:00 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
>> Seems like a business op to offer a low-cost alternative to cryonics.
>> You could buy all your own stuff ahead, then pay Alcor to do not a heck of
>> a lot more than put your head in a jar of preservative and keep the door
>> locked.
>> ​c​
>> I can imagine
>> ​ ​
>> plenty of people who might opt for a few-thousand clam alternative, even
>> if they go in knowing it is a longshot.  Funerals are expensive: if it gets
>> you out of that expense it might get some takers.
>

> I don't think ASC would be any cheaper than ALCOR's current method, it
> might even cost more, but I do think it would be better, possibly much
> better.  With ASC you'd still have to carefully infuse the brain with
> cryoprotectant, its just
> ​ ​
> that
> ​ ​
> with ASC you'd also infuse it with glutaraldehyde. And for the long term
> you'd still have to store the brain in liquid nitrogen at -196C.  Actually
> -135C would be slightly better for both methods, going colder than -135
> produces some cracks, but the cracks are very narrow and its pretty obvious
> which parts belongs where so little information would be lost by the
> cracks, and as liquid nitrogen boils at -196
> ​C​
> its simpler and cheaper to store things at that temperature.
>
> ​ ​
> John K Clark

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
http://www.amazon.com/Transhumanist-Reader-Contemporary-Technology-Philosophy/dp/1118334310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372225570&sr=1-1&keywords=the+transhumanist+reader
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation