[ExI] Cryonics Alexandre Erler and bad philosophy

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Nov 29 03:32:25 UTC 2017

Hi John,

No need to apologize for being a pain in the ass. These are important
questions.

I'm not sure I have the time nor deep knowledge to answer all your points
adequately but will try to do so soon and have forwarded your thoughts to
others with more in-depth knowledge. For now, just a couple of quick

Well yes, but nobody is going to be revived from liquid nitrogen
> temperatures using either ALCOR's method or the ASC technology until full
> scale Drexler style nanotechnology is developed.

1. Some very smart and well-informed people in the field would not agree
with this statement -- at least in cases where fracturing can be
eliminated.

2. Alcor has no in-principle objection to offering ASC. ASC still requires
the full capabilities of standby, stabilization, and transport (a major
part of the total cost) and Alcor already has that figured out. There is
nothing in Alcor's model that biases us against ASC. I believe the main
issue is that ASC introduces a further (and major) level of difficulty in
reversibility. Our goal at Alcor is to minimize reliance on projected
breakthroughs in future technology. On a related matter, it's clear to me
that there is a major divide here between those who find it essential to be
revived in their biological bodies and those who believe they will survive
just as well in software emulations. I'm in the latter camp but, in my
position, must take fully into account a great many people in the first
camp.

Best,

--Max

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:51 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the ASC method.  ​
>

>> ​​>
>> At Alcor we believe that a credible cryonics organization should aim for
>> perfecting human suspended animation.
>

> ​The day
> human suspended animation
> ​ is perfected will be the same day nobody ever needs to go into suspended
> animation again. If the technology is good enough to bring a vitrified
> brain cooled to liquid nitrogen temperatures back to full function and
> health then killing cancer cells or fixing a bad heart would be child's
> play.
>
> Preserving enough undistributed information to bring a person back is
> hard, but using that information to actually do it is far far harder; ALCOR
> is a small organization and can't do all the heavy lifting by itself, if
> the information is preserved sooner or later Nanotechnology will be
> developed that can do something with it. I think right now ALCOR should
> concentrate on making sure future technology has something to work with.
>
> ​"​
>> Making slices out of a whole vitrified brain while vitrified is a tough
>> problem. It is easier to make thin slices out of a whole brain that’s been
>> turned into solid plastic because the resin used is designed for being cut
>> into thin slices for microscopy. So plastination has a natural advantage in
>> this
>

>> That may have been a valid point 5 years ago when
> ​those words were​
>  written, but the ASC brain has been warmed up and is no longer vitrified,
> and it shows better ultra-structure than the ALCOR preserved brain after it
> has been warmed up and is no longer vitrified.
>
> ​"​
>> After initial stabilization with aldehyde fixatives, a chemopreservation
>> patient would have to be transported to a dedicated facility for treatment
>> with even more toxic chemicals such as osmium tetroxide and plastic resin
>> monomers. Osmium tetroxide is a volatile and extremely powerful oxidizer
>> ​"​
>>

> Osmium tetroxide
> ​just used for staining to get good pictures from a electron microscope​,
> it wouldn't be used if you were trying to preserve a life and not do
> research.
>
> ​" ​
>> In the case of chemopreservation, the absence of low temperatures could
>> permit ongoing degradation of poorly fixed and embedded tissue
>> ​" ​
>> .
>

> ​No longer relevant, ​both ASC and ALCOR would store brains at the same
> low  temperature.
>

>> ​> ​
>> Being able to chemically preserve brain slices is not comparable to
>> preserving entire human brains.
>>

>  ​No longer relevant
> ​, ASC has preserved an entire pig brain.
>
> The reason I'm making a​ big deal out of all this is... well... because

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
http://www.amazon.com/Transhumanist-Reader-Contemporary-Technology-Philosophy/dp/1118334310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372225570&sr=1-1&keywords=the+transhumanist+reader
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation