[ExI] Quantum Supremacy

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:52:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 10:25 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a real quantum computer, two of them actually, finding a solution
> to a problem that a conventional computer can't. Neither is as versatile as
> a conventional computer so they can't yet be programed to work on any sort
> of problem but I can't see any reason in principle they can't be before
> long.

Well, the title of one the papers is "Probing many-body dynamics on a
51-atom quantum simulator", so I don't see how it's a real quantum
computer. I can't make sense of the paper since I don't have any background
in quantum physics.

Here's a quote:

*"The realization of fully controlled, coherent many-body quantum systems
is an outstanding challenge in science and engineering. As quantum
simulators, they can provide insights into strongly correlated quantum
systems and the role of quantum entanglement1, and enable realizations and
studies of new states of matter, even away from equilibrium. These systems
also form the basis of the realization of quantum information processors2.
Although basic building blocks of such processors have been demonstrated in
systems of a few coupled qubits3,4,5, the current challenge is to increase
the number of coherently coupled qubits to potentially perform tasks that
are beyond the reach of modern classical machines." [emphasis mine]*

Which seems to contradict itself but that's probably just because I'm not
understanding something.

-Dave