[ExI] ligo numbers

kuudes kuudes at leijuvakaupunki.fi
Tue Oct 3 12:10:15 UTC 2017

On 03.10.2017 07:53, spike wrote:

> Today a notion occurred to me: there is a reason why this might not be
> just a crazy coincidence or a characteristic of the LIGO instrument to
> detect only a certain class of mergers.

Would we be able to detect the gravitational waves if the object masses
were very different? I mean, as a layman it seems to me that with larger
mass difference, the smaller mass would have faster orbit if the event
duration is constant. This again could mean that the frequency of the
wave to detect would be higher, which could mean it would be out of
range for our current instruments. If this narrative holds, then the
observed effect would be explained by our current instrument limitations.
But I am not a gravity physicist. :) What do we currently know about the
bounds of observation for LIGO et al?

Yours,

kuudes