[ExI] More news from LIGO on October 16

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Oct 8 03:12:58 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: [ExI] More news from LIGO on October 16

 Rainer Weiss

>…"The gravitational

​ ​

waves are interesting, and the fact that you can directly detect them is important, but the real payoff is going to be in the future.​  It's already happened, in some regards, and more of it will happen on October 16. I won't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that there is more there, and I think there's another whoop-de-do arranged for that. And I urge you to go to it, because the announcement is actually very interesting. But I won't say any more than that."

​John K Clark​

Best guess, they will tell us they found a merger of two neutron stars.  That will have a different signature from the black hole merger.

Henceforth every gathering of geeks should be called a whoop-de-do.  If others are present besides the usual suspects, we hardcore types, that can still be a schmooze.  Otherwise, a whoop-de-do.

Ooooooh this is cool.