[ExI] evolutionary puzzle

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 22:50:34 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Two of the most overlooked qualities in life are patience and wisdom:
>

> This is something I have wondered about for a long time.  Most dogs seem
> to have an intuition that a skunk is something you just jump at every
> opportunity to not mess with.  A squirrel is pretty similar in size and
> shape.  Dogs go nuts when they see those guys, even black ones.  Now I
> hafta wonder if visuals have anything to do with it.  If we caught a big
> black squirrel and dyed a big white stripe on him, would the dogs back
> off?  Regarding instinct, the skunk also seems to know he has nothing to
> worry about from the dogs.  Every time I see a skunk in the neighborhood,
> he tends to carry himself like he owns the place.
>

> Alternative suggestion: the skunk scent is undetectable if he doesn’t
> spray.  You can be within about three paces of it and not smell a thing.
> Perhaps the dog can?
>

> Another puzzle: how would the instinct to not mess with the skunk get
> encoded into the genes?  The skunk’s non-lethal defense would not seriously
> impact the unwise dog’s reproductive capacity (temporary delay only.)  We
> can easily imagine a learned behavior of don’t mess with the skunk, but
> most dogs have never been sprayed, and still know better.
>

> I had Dobermans in my misspent youth.  They would take on anything,
> including rattlesnakes (very carefully and always successfully.)  Clearly
> they had instinct with regard to those guys, the kind which is
> explainable.  But there were plenty of skunks out there, and never once did
> any of them get sprayed or even bark at a skunk.  Very puzzling.
>

> Ideas?
>

> spike

​I think it's entirely possible that it's a sort of instinct.  If you cut
out a shape resembling a goose and fly it over
a chicken coop such that a shadow of the goose in cast on the ground, you
will get no response from the chickens.  However, if you turn the goose
around so that it appears like a hawk, the chickens will panic.
Instinctively afraid of a shadow.

Second - for some substances, mostly relating to its survival, dogs have
incredibly keen noses.  It's highly possible that the dog can smell the
skunk and stay away. It may be the smell of the skunk itself rather than
the liquid it squirts.  Or it may be a tiny amount of the bad smell
clinging to the skunks orifice from a time before when it did spray.

Third - lots of dogs get sprayed by skunks, so who knows?

bill w
 ​