[ExI] Letters of recommendation bad?

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Oct 13 17:50:55 UTC 2017

Dan wrote:

>https://whatswrongcvsp.com/2017/10/12/whats-wrong-with-soliciting-letters-of-recommendation/
>
>Any ideas for workarounds?

While I agree that the author's argument clearly applies to university
philosophy departments, I am not sure it applies to academic science,
medical,  and engineering departments.

Academic science at it its core is a very contentious field. In addition
to the simple rivalry of the niche job-market aspects of academia in
general, you have competition for grant money, you have competition
between theories and interpretations of data, as well as interpersonal
conflicts.

In scenarios where toxic chemicals, or other potentially hazardous
technologies, not to mention millions of dollars of grant money are at
stake, I think it is comforting for the comittees to know that the job
candidate has at least three colleagues familar with his work, who are not
being held hostage at the time, that are willing to vouch for him.

Stuart LaForge