[ExI] evolutionary puzzle

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 03:13:03 UTC 2017

"On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:47 PM,  Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> I've been reading the book Influence by Cialadini which looks at how sales
> folks exploit a number of these heuristics.

Cailadini has been very influential in my thinking.  I reference him
in " Evolutionary Psychology Memes and the Origin of War."

> I would imagine there are others.  It's hard to believe we have escaped the
> general concept of fixed action patterns that impact a large number of
> species that use them to exploit the fact that they are almost always a
> good behavioral shortcut.   Of course, throughout nature, mimics and others
> have found various ways to exploit these same hard-coded behaviors:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_action_pattern

I think capture-bonding is one of the hard-coded human psychological
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Capture-bonding

I also think humans are hard-coded for wars when the genetic gains
from a war are more than the genetic loss expected from fighting (and
possibly losing) a war.  I have posted on this several times over the
last years.

Keith