[ExI] scienceblind question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 19:13:33 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:21 PM, William Flynn Wallace <
> foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Example in the book:  drop a bullet at the same instant that you shoot a
>> bullet with the barrel parallel to the ground, and the bullets will hit the
>> ground at the same time.
>>
>> I had trouble with this:  it would seem that if you used more gunpowder
>> in the bullet it would go farther, but the time it takes for a bullet to
>> drop remains the same.
>>

> More powder and it does go farther, generally. But a bullet is a
> projectile, and the charge only propels it down the barrel. Once it leaves
> the barrel, the most significant forces acting on it are gravity and
> aerodynamic drag. Drag slows the bullet horizontally, but has no affect
> vertically. Gravity applies the same to a dropped bullet as it does to a
> fired one: 32 ft/s^2 vertically.
>
> That's assuming wind isn't a factor and there's no aerodynamic lift or
> Magnus effect, which is lift generated by an object spinning in an axis
> different than its path.
>
> -Dave

​---------------
The subjects in this book I am reading, ScienceBlind, have an intuitive
theory that a bullet, or any moving object I think, has more than one force
acting on it:  gravity and impetus.  The impetus idea is wrong but it gave
me pause for a few moments.

To be fair, these subjects, and me at times, are asked to provide a correct
scientific explanation for something they/I have never considered, and
would have stumped just about everyone in the history of the human race.
Newton himself would have flunked some of the questions they put to
children in the book.

 bill w​