[ExI] An AI program that teaches itself

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Oct 21 01:41:04 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 6:24 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] An AI program that teaches itself

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>... It seems to me the next logical step would be to switch the program's
> interest from getting better at the game of GO to improving computer
> code, including its own. I wonder where that could lead.

>...Who judges whether the result is an improvement?  In go, there is an
objective standard it can assess repeatedly, with no need for human
supervision.  One could apply this to specific problems, largely with known
solutions, but general-purpose problem solving - indeed, where simply
concretely defining the problem may be the first step - is a whole other
matter.

At first, the objective standard is a clock.  We look for ways to make a
particular verifiable algorithm faster.

This can be envisioned with something like the Lucas-Lehmer algorithm as
optimized for various processors by our own local colleague Dr. Ernst Mayer.
Imagine the software knows all the signal path lengths everywhere in a
processor.  It has a lot better chance of figuring out an optimal solution
than any human.  Oh this is so cool.