[ExI] trade map: was RE: tech question

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Oct 29 14:43:48 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:17 AM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] tech question

>>…Have you factored in the several thousand dollar increase on cars imported into the US? Would you be in favor of a complete elimination of all barriers to trade in cars? Regards, Dan

Hi Dan,

>…This whole question gets still more interesting once we recognize that factories are becoming more automated over time.  It matters less than it once did where the factory is located from the point of view of the product, and matters more where the factory is located from the point of view of where the product will be sold (transportation costs of the product.)…spike

Dan for some time I have been thinking about how to create a world trade map.  We know the traditional Mercator projection map tends to distort land areas by causing us to overestimate the land area of northern and southern countries while underestimating the land areas of equatorial lands.  An example: plenty of people think Canada is way bigger in land area than the USA, but if you look at a globe or this map, you see they are pretty close to each other, within a couple percent:

Land area doesn’t matter much.  What we need is to create a trade map, where we make distance a function of cost to move goods.  Over the sea is lower cost than over land, and over land is way more expensive if good roads are not available.  Somehow we would need to take into account import tariffs.  It isn’t clear how to map that, but I have a few ideas.