[ExI] tech question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 16:15:29 UTC 2017

Since about the mid to late 90s, American-made cars are price and quality
competitive with the Japanese.  I have had both Japanese and American cars,
and always found better value with American, even as Consumer Reports
insist it’s the other way around.  I don’t know what gives.

spike

Quality competitive?  Your data, please.  Certainly there must be some bias
when a car labeled Chevy gets a lower rating than an identical car labeled
Toyota.

In the 80s my wife worked at places where lower middle and upper low class
people worked.  All of them had trucks, big and small.  The word among them
was that you just could not wear a Japanese truck out.  Since they were
rather poor, they kept them as long as they could, so they would know what
lasts.  Used car prices seem to follow CR data - Japanese and Korean higher
priced.  People who report problems to CR have no reason to lie about the
frequency of repair for their cars.

Money - let's keep it here if possible.  I know vehicles are made all over
the place, but don't you think Honda sales money goes mostly to Japan?

Aside from CR, I don't know where to get objective data.

bill w