[ExI] Is this who we are?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 18:46:15 UTC 2017

We are creatures easily swayed, constantly infected by the opinions of
others, lacking critical self-understanding, easily gripped by fantastical
hopes and ambitions.  Our capacity for self-government is spasmodic, and
even while we preen ourselves on our critical and independent, free and
rational decisions, we are the slaves of fashion and opinion and social and
cultural forces of which we are ignorant. It would often be good, and no
signal of disrespect to ourselves, if those who know better could rescue us
from our worst follies.

from Ethics by Simon Blackburn

- opinions please?

bill w