[ExI] encryption

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 02:01:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:48 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​OK, just how paranoid should I be?

You shouldn't be paranoid but you should be cautious and take reasonable
precautions.

>   Get RedPhone for my android?

I use Signal, which is highly recommended. It's really no harder than any
other messaging app.

  Get some encryption for emails?

Don't use gmail for anything you wouldn't want to see on a billboard.

Wouldn't that just inform NSA or whoever that I might have good reasons for
> not using regular mails and phone calls?

Sure, that could put you on their radar. But so could this email exchange.
If you use encryption routinely for things that don't absolutely require
privacy--and lots of other people start doing that too, it makes the
spook's jobs a lot harder. I use a VPN on my phone and Chromebook so all of
my data traffic is encrypted. It's easy and inexpensive. I use
privateinternetaccess.com and they have phone apps and browser plug-ins
that are super simple to use.

Also, don't assume that encryption is perfect. A sufficiently motivated
entity can get around it. The goal is to make it harder to see your private
info and easier to see someone else's.

-Dave