[ExI] orwell misses one, was: RE: encryption

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Sep 15 17:59:03 UTC 2017

>… On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] orwell misses one, was: RE: encryption

spike wrote;   Nielsen is all about what TV and radio ads you hear and see.

--

>…What about those TVs that are connected to the internet so Dish or whoever can stream movies and what not? Couldn't they record everything you watch. Not that they would tell you.

>…For the record, I don't care what they know, but lots of people do.

bill w

I may have misunderstood it, and if so do correct me please: I inferred that they can use these devices to figure out you are streaming movies but not which movies, for they don’t care about that.  Their clients buy that info from the cable company, but those streaming movies don’t have ads anyway (or do they?  (I am sooo not-hip on these matters.))

BillW, your last sentence is a good point: you don’t care what they know, and I don’t, so we are likely to be the kinds of guys who would sign up to be in the ¼ (she said slightly less than a quarter) who would agree to do having the device, knowing that there is a possibility they could have slipped a device inside the device which would pick up our LAN signals.  I don’t care: the ISP already knows what I search and they don’t blackmail me, which might be understandable if you saw my search history.  Granted all those Jill Stein video searches would be a bit embarraskin.  But I can deal with it.

The Nielsen group is self-selected and is non-representative: perhaps we are generally Squaresville L7 types.

Or perhaps I am misreading the whole thing: there are people who do edgy stuff and intentionally post it all on FaceBook.  So they would be beyond open: they would make an effort to broadcast to the public their private moments?