[ExI] Prisoner of bad philosophy: Carl Sagan couldn’t allow himself to hope

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:34:24 UTC 2018

Interestingly, part of the definition of a delusion in psychiatry (e.g. in
the DSM) is that the belief is not held by people from the same culture. If
this  criterion were not included then religious beliefs and other beliefs
held in the absence of evidence would be classed as delusional.
--
Stathis Papaioannou
*Which just goes to show you that you should not let psychiatrists be in

*Spike, I think if you would look at the evidence, you would find that your
opinion that IQ and religious beliefs are orthogonal - that is, not
correlated - may be incorrect.*

*We do have many discussions on this site that would be illuminated by
surveys of the literature - meta-analyses (which are often surveys of
surveys and involve hundreds of studies, and I am going to find out how to
access them so we can start from data and not opinion - will let you know -
will visit a reference librarian, as I am somewhat out of touch)*

*bill w*