[ExI] Atheism

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Aug 5 21:16:01 UTC 2018

Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2018, at 2:44 PM, Ben Zaiboc <ben at zaiboc.net
> <mailto:ben at zaiboc.net>> wrote:
>
>> When did you ever hear of anyone committing an atrocity in the name
>> of unbelief?
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

I don't think you understood the question.

I'm not asking when did you ever hear of a regime trying to enforce
atheism on a population for political reasons.

I'm asking when did you ever hear of a person committing an atrocity (or
indeed anything deserving of the name 'militant',  i.e. involving the
use of force) in the name of atheism itself?
I  don't think I've never heard of a single instance of this.

States will employ force, as they've always done, in order to control
the population. The most obvious reason for mandating atheism is to
remove the power of the church. It has nothing to do with the issue of
belief, it's more like an up-to-date version of Henry the VIII
establishing the church of england.

--
Ben Zaiboc