[ExI] Politics of Radical Life Extension / Indefinite Lifespans

John Tracy Cunningham johntc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 19:26:54 UTC 2018

Thank you, Natasha.  All too true!  May I give what to me is a practical
example?

I am a retired US Air Force officer drawing a retirement check and medical
care benefits for life.  I am sure that the budgeting to pay for this uses
the actuarial tables for life expectancy.  I will be 67 later this month
and the tables say I'm good for another 18 years on average.

Should substantial healthy life extension become available, I would
certainly try to obtain the treatment(s) for myself and my wife at a
minimum.

If I live quite a bit longer than expected (which I expect to happen), and
many of my peers do the same, this will throw the allocated budget into a
cocked hat.  I would not be surprised if the US Government declared an end
to my monthly check and health care.  This in turn would drive the argument
to wealth accumulation by the long-lived.  In my case the accumulation is
modest but doing well.

Thoughts?

Regards

John