[ExI] Endarkenment

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Mon Aug 20 08:45:23 UTC 2018

Will Steinberg wrote:

> We are headed for a reckoning for sure.

> Putin is the Judas of this technological age.  He certainly appears to be
> heavily oriented towards sociotechnological warfare and has even spoken
> about AI being a gateway to world domination.

If that is the case, then we can't afford to let Russia develop AI first,
like we couldn't let Germany develop nukes first . . . for pretty much the
same reason.

>   In any case, I don't
> really believe single humans are in control anymore.  Things are far too
> complicated.

Evolution did not equip alpha males and females to lead more than between
150 to 300 people. Which is about the same as the number of names the
average person can remember. That is your tribal heritage even if you
happen to be an Ice Age mutant with fair skin, hair, and eyes.

The likes of presidents, kings, and emperors do not actually lead their
states. They simply mount the beast of popular opinion and hold on for
dear life.

I hope robust AI can eventually do a better job of guiding us into the
unknown future. Until then, I believe our best bet for survival is the
constitutional republic.

> Relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra%27s_net
> Indra, god of thunder;Indra's net, net of electricity;Indra's net,
> Indranet, Internet.
> Maybe we should start praying
> ;)

If you had ever beheld one of the jewels of Indra's net, then you would
realize that you just did. ;-)

Stuart LaForge