[ExI] Electoral College

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu Aug 23 00:58:02 UTC 2018

Popping in to get caught up a bit. I don't want to revive the thread
but I do want to respond to one point.

Spike wrote:

>John I do think this comment seriously underestimates the military.
>Those guys are not mindless killer-bots.  I know and worked with a
>bunch of military ossifers in my career.  I know of none of them who
>I think would go along with a coup against the constitution.  I know
>plenty of them would I think would be willing to refuse an illegal
>order, which is what it would be if framed as a sudden declaration
>of martial law used to cancel or postpone (even for an hour) an election.

I want to empathically agree. My father was, among other things, a
bird colonel. My sister, brother-in-law, other brother-in-law,
cousin, etc. are current serving ossifers. The sister met her husband
at Annapolis. We also have ossifer family in the Royal Navy and the
IDF, and many  work in a civilian capacity. One of my classmates rose
to command the Israel Air Force. And I've known a few "mindless
killer-bots," like my SEAL next-door neighbor, who was working on his
PhD in nuclear physics when we met.

They are all smart, ethical, honorable people who put their butt on
the line and take their oaths of office very seriously.

Not to say there aren't a few ossified ossifers. But the Republic is
safe, at least from our own military.

-- David.