[ExI] playing psychologist

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 14:08:06 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Henry Rivera <hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu>
wrote:

> Great points Dave.
> And can we stop pretending that crack is worse than cocaine or that meth
> is worse than Adderal? They are chemically the same.  I made a direct
> comparison between two different categories of ingested substances. One
> that is legal and ruins or ends far more lives than the ones that are
> illegal.

The difference is needing a prescription.  If crack is not more addictive
then why do they make it?

Yes, we  all know that if you wanted to make one drug illegal out of
alcohol, tobacco, and pot, it would not be pot - safest drug there is,
although anything that messes with our minds is not totally safe.

What can we ban and still call ourselves a free society and remain
consistent with libertarian principles?

True - tobacco is worse than anything I know to quit (I quit both tobacco
and alcohol, and the latter was even easy - but I cannot say that quitting
tobacco was very hard - it was not, and I smoked two packs a day)  Pot is
not addictive.  Maybe if we make it legal and raise taxes on tobacco and
alcohol some people will transition to it.

I do not believe in what someone called an implicit precursor.  One drug
does not lead to another.  Now some people will want to try anything once
they find out that they can take stuff that creates a different mindset.
It's the person, not the drug.  Only 5% of pot users go on to heroin,
making the statistic 'nearly all heroin users start with pot' irrelevant
and very misleading.

Here is how to create billion dollar crime syndicates:  make something
people want illegal.  Like alcohol.  Then create federal agencies to stop
it, which was very expensive and did not work well.  Now we have the same
thing again.  Is anyone thinking that the DEA has made much difference in
the drug trade?  And has cost us many billions.

One solution:  make them all legal and use the money for treatment, just
like the users were experiencing a health problem, which many are.

bill w