[ExI] focus

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Aug 27 17:32:03 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR Ballard
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:00 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] focus

>>…A video of the incident showed what a witness said: when the shooting started, plenty of the contestants never looked away from their screen.  In the news video, the shots can be heard in the background, people shrieking, but whoever had the camera never seemed to notice.

>…Well, to me, with friends who participate in such competitions, it doesn't seem that far fetched, or strange even. Competitions of this type usually work in a specific way and are trained in a specific way as well. … It's unlikely that you would notice a gunman in the sound booth on the other side of the glass until it was all over.  SR

SR the reason I take interest in all this: it points to the future of mass sports entertainment.

Consider a long time ago, during my own misspent youth.  Back in those days, there wasn’t much bandwidth: three TV channels (on a clear day (one otherwise)) and the radio.  The big sports were football and the 3 Bs: baseball, basketball and boxing.  Anyone, even little old ladies, could name the top competitors in those four big sports.

But now… many people can’t name the top competitors in those sports and it is hard to find people, even among the young and the restless, who can name any of the top boxers.

OK times change, we get that.

Why do they change?  Consider the potential by having each of the competitors wear what amounts to a ruggedized GoPro on his helmet or cap, so you can go in and watch the games from the point of view of any of your favorite competitors.

NASCAR got it.  There was an exciting sport that is really kinda boring if all you can do is watch the cars go around the track from the grandstands.  But if you have a driver’s-eye view from any car, then it is very exciting.

So we could do that with any of the major sports (not exactly sure how with boxing and basketball, but we might be able to do it somehow.)