[ExI] Electoral College and 1177 BCE

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 19:23:15 UTC 2018

Spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> Eh, memewars don?t really wreck stuff all that much.  It just causes us to be pissed off at each other.  That can be easily enough repaired, more easily than bombed out factories, destroyed infrastructure and farmland, crippled people.  With memewars, we have the option to just stop at any time, to become a memewar non-combatant, an option I chose some time ago.

People often talk of religious wars as examples of meme wars.  But
that's putting the horse before the cart.  The origin of wars is
resources, xenophobic religious memes are the way we dehumanize people
before we kill them (and then take their young women as booty).  Pope
Urban's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Urban_II wiki page is a
remarkably prescient presentation of evolutionary psychology.

I don't think we have an option to "stop at any time" or become a non-combatant.

The relation between memes and wars is complex.

Keith