[ExI] The most accurate clock ever

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:42:44 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 8:29 PM Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John,
> Very cool and interesting.
> But since it seems to me, the only way to judge the accuracy of something
> like a clock, is to have something to compare it to, I always wonder: how
> can we objectively know it is so accurate?

There is no one true objective time but you can test a clock against
something you already trust. If you trust Newton and he says the Earth's
rotation should be slowing down due to the moon you can see if the clock
can measure that, and if you trust Einstein who says the orbital speed of 2
Neutron Stars should speed up because their orbit will decay due to
Gravitational Waves you can see if the clock can measure that. And if you
make a new clock you can test it against an old trusted clock and see which
one agrees more with Newton and Einstein.

John K Clark