[ExI] The most accurate clock ever

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Dec 3 15:09:14 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] The most accurate clock ever

>…A bit on a tangent:  isn't it true that damming water has changed the Earth's rotation?

bill w

Sure does.  Holding water up to a higher potential energy level slightly increases the moment of inertia of the planet.  Angular momentum is conserved, rotation slows slightly.  Dams lengthen the day.  I think of that extra fraction of a microsecond per day a kind of bonus to make up for the enormous environmental damage caused by flooding valleys as beautiful as Yosemite.