[ExI] my view of education

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:10:24 UTC 2018

What is taught in school?  I am more concerned with what is not being
taught. Have you ever opened a book entitled something like “What they did
not teach you in school?”

If you did, you find out that schools, from grade one, teach a very
sanitized version of history, especially American history. Americans are
always right, our opponents are always wrong. When we go to war, atrocities
are committed by them, not us. Our heroes never do anything wrong and are
completely one-dimensional people.  That is change some during and after
the Vietnam 'war.'

If we had studied another country’s history books and found things like
this, we would call their teaching propaganda and lies, destined to
brainwash their children into believing that their country is right and
others wrong.

Having had history in college, I can say that they did not even try to
overcome to one-sided images presented in high school and before. It was
just more detailed.

Now I am a loyal American who loves his country. But. I want the truth out
and no lies and coverups in educating children. After all, lying to
children about Santa, the Easter Bunny, and so on, are discovered to be
lies, though thought to be harmless, along the way to adulthood.

School boards and colleges say that they are teaching critical thinking,
but my question is, where? How? In what class? One-sided teaching is the
farthest thing from fair it is possible to get. I think that is the worst
kind of critical nonthinking, and actually immoral.

We are all pretty smart, eh?  Did we notice these things when we went
through school?  I certainly did not.

Education or propaganda?

bill w