[ExI] origin date for the list

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 00:13:07 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 12:43 PMBillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 at 06:08, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if anyone knows the date the list started?
> >
> > I am making fair progress on locating the list content, but I don't
> > know how far back it goes.
> >

> Extropy website says 1991.
> <http://extropy.org/emaillists.htm>

The oldest I have is Oct. 17, 1991.  But it is clear from the
conversation that the list had been running before that.

> I don't know whether the early Extropy-chat mail list started as a
> private mail list.
> If so, there may be problems getting permissions if the contents are
> to be made public.

Perry Metzger was the main person in those days who wanted the list
private.  He considers that decision incorrect now.  I really doubt
the early archive will attract the attention of any but old time
extropians and historians even if I made it public.

But your point is correct.

Are there any objections now to making the early postings public?

Keith